Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Fun, Old-Fashioned, Family Christmas


Last night D and I watched Christmas Vacation, a classic in our house. It was very appropriate too, because this year, we have decided to invite D’s extended family to our house for Christmas dinner. D sent out the email last week, and invited anyone who would like to come.
At the time, we were expecting about 10 people to RSVP, because some of the families are out of town or usually do their own thing for the holidays. However, a couple of hours after D sent out the email, the “yes” replies started flooding in!! It now looks like D’s entire extended family, over 20 people, will be coming to our little house for Christmas dinner! I am a little nervous, because our house is pretty small. We don’t even have a formal dining room. But the expression is “the more the merrier” so it will definitely be a merry Christmas Day!

So, okay, here is my list of things to do:

-Finish all outstanding home projects (caulking, painting, sanding, etc.)
-Clean the house from top to bottom
-Organize hall closets (in case someone opens one! Eek!!)
-Buy or borrow an ice bucket, a tablecloth, trivets for hot dishes. (What else do I need? Do I have enough forks? Hmm…)
-Wrap gifts for the family
-Make sweet potatoes, pies, and reindeer mix
-Buy a ham

Sounds reasonable, right? Umm, sure!

Any tips on holiday entertaining, cooking, and stress relief would be greatly appreciated!

8 comments:

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Um, what is reindeer mix?

Petunia said...

Oh my goodness! I do all of the cooking on Thanksgiving and it is a lot of work!
Green bean casserole is probably the easiest and quickest dish to make if you need ideas! :)

Maureen said...

Good for you! Focus on your guests. Don't worry about the house. No one is judging. And if they are, they'll judge no matter what is done or isn't done. I think people/family members are just happy to have somewhere to go and be together. We host Christmas Eve dinner with similar numbers... enlist help - if someone offers to bring something - take them up on it. I like not having to think about appetizers and desserts. I put my dad in charge of the bar, and I can focus on the main dishes (and my sister helps with those). Good luck! It'll be great.

coffee break said...

That sounds like quite the housefull, but also lots of fun. Good luck preparing :)

very married said...

totally doable! i need to make time to watch some christmas movies. maybe they'll be post-christmas christmas movies :)

Ashlyn Stallings said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashlyn Stallings said...

Haha. "Where do you think you're going? Nobody's leaving. Nobody's walking out on this fun, old-fashioned family Christmas.."

I agree--You'll be wonderful! Just focus on your guests and remember that no one is judging, we tend to focus on people at parties :) You'll be so great! Have so much fun!

Jill said...

Oh, I hope your dinner party turned out okay. I'm impressed you had so many guest!

Thank you so much for your sweet comment and your prayers concerning my Grandpa. Our family really felt all the prayers and it meant so much to us.