Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Good is the New Perfect


I am not sure who first coined this phrase, but “good is the new perfect” is my new mantra. A few weeks ago, I went a little crazy trying to be perfect when it came to my health. I worked out everyday, ate super healthy (sugar-free, gluten-free, yikes!), went crazy trying to keep the home ultra-clean using non-chemical and organic products, and you get the picture...

But the interesting thing was, I felt lousy. No matter how much I did, there was more I could be doing, and trying to be “perfect” was having the opposite effect on my health. I was stressed and fatigued beyond belief.

So now, I have adopted a different mindset. I know I want to have a healthy lifestyle, and I think I can get there by making smaller, more practical changes. Everyday, I do something good for myself by doing the simple things I know get results. I’m going for walks, trying to eat a bit more healthy (but, hey, if I want chocolate, I’m going to have it), flossing my teeth, and finding time to relax. And if I can’t make it to the gym one day, I will at least stretch; and if I can’t stretch, I will at least meditate for ten minutes; and if I can’t meditate for ten minutes, I will not worry about it! So far its working, I feel happier and healthier than I have in a long time.

Have a wonderful day!

No comments: